Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Commit 2 Fit - Life Challenge Seven
We are all seeing some great results! Many of use are seeing more inches lost than weight and some of us are experiencing both. What I love hearing the most though is how much better everyone is feeling and the amount of new energy we all have. I am leaving for my birthday vacation in a few days and not only am I loving the inches I have lost but I am going on vacation not worn out. I am going to be able to start this trip on the right foot starting with day one!
Here are the revised results after week three - great job girls!!!
1. Kim Heggins
2. Melissa Cavanaugh
3. Cindy B
4. Amy Mowbray
5. Tena Sprenger
All the rest of us are below the 29 points (myself included!) but only one point difference. Don't forget to turn in your week 4, 5 and 6 points to me!
Okay here is life habit seven - Choose fruit as your carbohydrate for at least two (minimum) of your meals
WHY are we going to do this?
* Fruit contains several nutrients to help prevent disease and help promote a healthy body.
* Eating fruit as your carbohydrate (versus starch - anything with flour in it or starchy veggies) can be helpful in losing body fat.
What is our daily pattern going to look like? Here is an example just so we can get our arms around this...
1. Protein + regular carb (i.e., shake or breakfast bar)
2. Protein + fruit
3. Protein + fruit
6. Protein (for those that are having this 6th meal)
Remember: meals are two to three hours apart and TWO fruit servings per meal is the minimum. You can add it to more of your meals if you choose.
Basics of fruit - not all fruits are created EQUAL! Some fruits spike our blood sugar higher and faster than others. And if you remember from other life habits we want to make sure that our blood sugar stays level than spiking all the time. That spike produces insulin which in turn leads to body fat.
Good Choices - its okay to have, these are higher on the glycemic index. Decrease the serving size of these.
* Bananas (1/2 or 1/3 serving)
* Red apples
Better Choices - concentrate here
* All berries
* Green apples
* Grapefruit (not good for those on high blood pressure medication!)
Always have the fruits with your protein!
Make it HAPPEN
1. Stock up on fruit, particularly the 'better' fruits
2. Frozen berries and peaches are an easy way to stay prepared
3. When you plan your meals pick your protein first, then add a fruit
4. For your two fruit meals, you won't add another carbohydrate to this meal. This will keep you under the 30 grams of carbohydrate per meal life habit.
Favorite meal idea recipe
* 2 scoops protein powder (I use the Advocare muscle gain protein powder)
* 4 oz of water
* 1 cup of frozen blueberries
Good luck this week and check back this week for some update posts from Maui! Enjoy life -