Trendy and chic fashion is hard - at least that is my opinion. You can either pull it off or you can't - there is really no in between. Plus you run the risk of dressing to young. Yes, I think there is a time where you need to give up the belly button shirts, big hair and/or striped hair - don't live back in the days, remember those 'days' as fond memories.
I try to do urban chic in statement pieces. My rule is one statement piece in each outfit - pick out the basics and look for the wow piece or the other way around. For my taste and body type I can only handle one statement piece. I know some other friends and my husband that can work it from head to toe and look great. Most of the time its all in the attitude. If you love it and feel confident in it then you will be able to carry it off.
Some of my favorite urban chic brands are:
- Juicy Couture - not their hard goods or handbags, love their winter coats. Edgy mixed in with traditional style
- Guess - Wonderful brightly colored winter coats. I have looking at this one but really need to try it on. The flaps right under the shoulders concern me, but because they are cut on a angle it might work and the double breasted style is not good for me. But the skirt at the bottom adds the bulk to right place for me!
- Leifsdotter - love, love, love... I could be wearing this one right now with this cold weather! I have tried it on and it's very chunky & bulky. Not good for my 'thick' frame.
- Sweetpeas - I like their tops to go under conservative suit jackets just to add a pop
- Harajuku - tshirts and flats
- Spanx - not that you ever see Spanx on the outside, but I find that when I wear trendy or chic clothes I need to wear SPANX. They are your best friends.
The 4x6 square of patterned paper and the gal with dog is from Nordstrom marketing materials that I cut out. Other patterned paper is from Basic Grey, Houndstooth is October Afternoon, Notepaper is MM, trimming?? All letters are from American CraftsI had fun with this layout! I love using all of the marketing materials that I have collected over the years - in fact I just received the Nordstrom catalog and they have the cutest gift tags with birdhouse art work on them. And if you love the birdhouses you can go here to print out 2d or 3d paper birdhouse! They have a download of the gift tags too.